Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a vital role in strengthening the immune system, regulating blood pressure, and maintaining normal heart rhythm. Additionally, magnesium contributes to the health of bones and teeth, supports nerve and muscle functions, and aids in energy production in the body. A deficiency in magnesium can lead to various health problems such as muscle cramps, fatigue, sleep disorders, heart arrhythmias, and osteoporosis.
There is a variety of magnesium-rich beverages and juices that provide a natural way to supply the body with this important mineral. The table above displays all the ones we have available.
Who Has A Higher Magnesium Requirement?
Groups of people who have an increased need for magnesium include:
- Pregnant women have an increased daily requirement for magnesium as the nutrient is needed for fetal development and to support the growing body. Nursing mothers also need more magnesium as they pass on the nutrient to their baby. Therefore, a magnesium-rich diet is recommended.
- People with diabetes often have difficulty absorbing magnesium from their food and can benefit from an additional source of magnesium in the form of beverages.
- As the body ages, it becomes less efficient at absorbing magnesium from food and excretes more magnesium through urine. Older individuals often have a higher need for magnesium as a result.
- Digestive tract disorders such as celiac disease, Crohn's disease, or ulcerative colitis can also lead to reduced absorption of magnesium from food.
- Alcohol can cause the body to excrete more magnesium through urine. People who regularly consume alcohol may therefore have a higher magnesium requirement.
- Athletes also have an increased need for magnesium as they can lose magnesium through sweating and physical exertion. A deficiency in magnesium can lead to muscle cramps and fatigue, which can impair athletic performance. Magnesium-rich drinks can be a good way to prevent these symptoms.
Even with a vegan diet, it is important to maintain a balanced diet to obtain all necessary nutrients from plant-based foods. In addition to food, the following drinks and juices can play an important role in supplementing daily magnesium intake:
- Freshly squeezed juices from fruits and vegetables are very good for providing you with magnesium. Plum juice, pineapple juice, orange juice, and grapefruit juice can be a good choice according to the table. Vegetable juices made from tomatoes and carrots are also recommended.
- Coconut milk and almond milk are popular alternatives to cow's milk. Both of these basic foods are rich in magnesium and healthy fats.
- According to the table, coconut water contains a higher amount of magnesium. You can drink it directly from the coconut or buy packaged coconut water at the drugstore.
- Chai tea is an aromatic, spicy tea that can be made from a combination of spices like cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. The components contain a lot of magnesium. Additionally, the tea contains antioxidants. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals in the body, protecting the cells from damage.
- Green teas and herbal teas are an excellent source of antioxidants and can contribute to detoxification. Matcha tea is particularly rich in nutrients and has a stimulating effect.
- Fruit smoothies are an easy way to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into a vegan diet. Smoothies made from berry fruits, bananas, and avocados can provide a wealth of vitamins and minerals. For added natural sweetness, you can use dried fruits such as dates, raisins, and figs, all of which have high magnesium content.
- A popular type of magnesium-containing beverages is mineral water and natural spring water. Some mineral waters with high magnesium content contain more than 100 mg per liter.
Magnesium-containing beverages and juices should not be considered as the sole source for daily magnesium needs. A balanced diet should include a variety of magnesium-rich foods from the following groups:
- magnesium-rich nuts, seeds, and kernels
- magnesium-rich whole grains
- vegetables high in magnesium
- legumes high in magnesium
- fruits high in magnesium
- magnesium-rich herbs and spices
What To Consider With Magnesium-containing Drinks?
When purchasing magnesium-containing drinks and juices, the quality of the ingredients plays a significant role. Many commercial beverages contain artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and other additives that can be not only unhealthy but also interfere with the absorption of magnesium in the body.
Energy drinks are popular for providing a quick energy boost, whether before a vigorous workout or to combat fatigue in the office. Some of these drinks also contain magnesium. However, the consumption of energy drinks should be limited due to potential negative health effects such as increased blood pressure, sleep disturbances, and heart rhythm abnormalities. Choose products that are free from unnecessary additives and made from high-quality natural ingredients.
Making Magnesium-rich Drinks At Home
If you want to make magnesium-rich beverages without using magnesium powder, we have prepared a few ideas in the list below:
- You can make green smoothies from leafy greens like spinach, kale, or chard. Add some fruits like bananas or berries to enhance the flavor.
- A smoothie bowl is a thicker version of a smoothie prepared with fruits, vegetables, and nuts or seeds. You can add a variety of magnesium-rich ingredients such as bananas, avocado, ground flaxseeds, and cocoa nibs.
- Cocoa is not only a delicious drink but also contains a good amount of magnesium. You can make hot chocolate using raw cocoa powder or cocoa nibs and sweeten it with milk alternatives and sweetening ingredients like agave syrup, according to your preference.
- Chia seeds are rich in magnesium and can be easily mixed into fruit juices or lemonades. Simply add a teaspoon of chia seeds to your drink and let them soak for a few minutes before consuming.
- You can make nut milk from almonds, cashews, or hazelnuts at home by soaking the nuts in water and then blending them. Add sweetening ingredients like dried figs or dates as per your taste. A nut milk maker is highly recommended as it can create vegan milk alternatives from your chosen ingredients.
- Ginger and lemon are both rich in magnesium and also have anti-inflammatory properties. You can brew them in hot water and add some sweetener.
- Matcha powder contains a significant amount of magnesium. It can be processed into a delicious latte drink. You can prepare it with almond milk or any other milk alternative and sweetening ingredients like maple syrup.